Where would an Afternoon Tea Party be without great recipes? Nowhere! That is why we are providing you with a variety of menu ideas.
For the most part when preparing a menu for an Afternoon Tea Party you will be making finger sandwiches. If you have reviewed Tea Party Recipe Essentials than you know you will begin with thin bread and you remove the crust. You will also put a light coating of unsalted butter on one slice of the bread. Just by doing these three things you have the beginnings of a "traditional" Afternoon Tea Sandwich!
1. CUCUMBER SANDWICHES:
A. Italian Dressing with Rosemary Cucumber Sandwich
Ingredients1 large cucumber with skin removed, thinly sliced
10 slices of white bread
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened
1 07 oz. package of dry Italian salad dressing
1 tsp. dry rosemary
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
In a bowl place the cream cheese, dry salad dressing and rosemary, mix well.
Remove the crust from the bread. Divide the bread into two piles. Spread a light coating of butter on one side of the bread in the first pile and spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of the bread in the second pile.
Place cucumber slices on top of the cream cheese. Do not pile them, just do one layer. Place the the slice of bread with the butter on top. Slice diagonally and serve.
2. WATERCRESS SANDWICHES:
3. MOZZARELLA & TOMATO SANDWICHES:
MEAT LOVERS SANDWICHES
2. EGG SALAD SANDWICHES:
3. HAM SALAD SANDWICHES:
4. ROAST BEEF SANDWICHES:
CHEDDAR & ONION SCONES
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 ½ cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with shortening. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Stir in cheese, onion mixture, and cream. For each scone, spoon 2 tablespoons dough onto prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Serve warm. Makes 10-12 scones.